Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Clapping in Shul?

Dear Tanta Golda,
I don’t mean to complain about the behavior of others so close to the days of repentance, but I was quite bothered when people applauded in the Shul. I always thought that this was disrespectful. My friend agreed. Are we being too judgmental? – L&G
My lovely L&G,
While there is not prohibition against clapping in synagogue, you are right in considering it a matter of etiquette, in most temples. 
When I was growing up, it was considered ill-mannered to clap at anything during a service. A sanctuary, unlike an auditorium, is a sacred space, and clapping was seen as irreverent.
However, since my days as a girl, some synagogues have been more encouraging of musical instruments and clapping in a way to bring in more active participation.
So, my dears, I know I’ve answered your question both ways. I’d say the the general rule of thumb is that clapping during a service is frowned upon, but given the right circumstances we all should open ourselves up to experiencing the joy.
Keep me on my toes my kinder and keep those questions coming.
Tanta Golda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave your questions for Tanta Golda here.